Wednesday, August 26, 2009

GIBBERISH TALK- " A NEW PERSPECTIVE!!"

Hi all..Thank you for all your response regarding the blog.. This being the 5th post, this blog is sure growing!!! Now who would have thought that…

The other day, I had a unique experience, and thought I would share with all of you..my brother's school had organised a function at the juvenile home at Calicut, they were donating few books to the children there.. My brother is the students's pupil chairman (publicity drama!!hmph..) and so had to attend the function, and as always, I was assigned to act as his driver, conveying him to and fro.. With the least enthusiasm, I accepted the duty( which was in fact an order, so either way, I could not say no!) … The juvenile home, for all I knew, was a place where children with criminal background were housed..and I din't want to meet them, hell, I dint even know where this place existed in calicut..So with a lot of prejudism and no enthusiasm, I took my brother there.. There was a huge gate, with a serious- no nonsense- guard at the entrance.. (Jail! my mind said). As we went further, we reached a huge building, with a once- upon -a time- white paint.. The board read "Govt. juvenile home-girls wing"..The entry into the building was blocked by black grills ,which was locked(Jail! my mind confirmed).. Two women were sitting inside(probably teachers) and they greeted us warmingly and took us in to the superintendant's room..as the seniors in our group talked with the superintendant, I walked about the place..the first thing that caught my attention was their notice board.. It had two displays, one was a picture of India, decorated with beads, the other, a beautiful scenery..i was amused, I had expected to see only "wanted" posters of criminals in the notice board.. As I looked around, I saw girls of different age groups ..most of them were happy and playing different games.. Surprised at their happiness, I returned back to my group, who were proceeding to the auditorium.. The auditorium was packed with children.. The little ones(really small ones, I was surprised to hear them speak!!)occupied the front seats with the older ones behind, all in an orderly manner(which again surprised me!! Little did I know, today I was in for a lot of surprises). The function began, my brother spoke something, followed by the blah-blahs of their school principal, other members etc.. I was assigned the job of taking photos( my requirement elevated from that of a driver!!). As I went about taking photos, the superintendant of the juvenile home got up to speak. Let me describe her for you- she was a lady in maybe her mid 40s, a bit plump and had the image of your friendly nieghbour, always smiling(contrary to the stereotyped image of cruel superintendants in cinema). She had such a positive charisma about her.. She spoke about what juvenile home actually was.. The following is the gist of what she said-The juvenile home is not for criminal children.. This is a venture, where children, who have no support from their parents(Living or dead) are sheltered.. These children have no criminal background and have done no crimes..those who have committed crimes are sheltered elsewhere in what is called the Observation home.. All that these children lacked are loving parents..such children are looked after by this institution, fed and cared..they are even given normal schooling along with classes in music, drawing etc..

I was shocked.. How wrong I was in calling them criminals..i felt extremely guilty..after the speech of the superintendant, we had an interactive session where these children sang..out came the mahalakshmis and jyothis(no different from the ones we know in the outside world) to sing.. There was even a girl who sang a song that was completely written and tuned by her..so talented, I felt ashamed of myself..and the group song that all the girls sang together was 'Daddy Mummy!!'

As we were preparing to leave, these children crowded around us..they wanted to talk further,wanted to hear from us more..and their love was so genuine.. As we left, all of them were waving bye to us….

I have not met god..but I have met some one quite close to that. The superintendant has dedicated her life for these children..she treats them as her own children and these kids call her 'Amma', a name she truly deserves..in her hands, these kids are safe..

I left the place with a completely different perspective, to the extent that I am being drawn back to the place again and again..even the guard who seemed really tough earlier, looked more friendly now.. I am happy for the kids.. They are in the right place. God bless them..

1 comment:

  1. Good one..quiet a good messageinvolved with the normal gibberish talk

    ReplyDelete