Sunday, March 23, 2014

Neighbour's wrath, Mallu's Pride!

Disclaimer:
The Protagonist in this work is not the Author, who has a real job and is far from being unemployed . He is also happily married (so there!) :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was just returning from B'lore, after yet another farcical job hunting missions. 

As I waited for my bus at the terminal, I heard two middle-aged Kannadika men talking. Initially they spoke in Kannada, but soon ,  switched onto English. This is when my ear began picking some of the lovely things they were saying about doing business in Kerala. 

Well, basically they said Kerala sucked. 

It was risky to invest there, and besides tourism, everything else was in a down spiral. 

Maybe my current state of being overly emotional due to lack of employment, which by the way determined if I was worthy of being considered a human, may have clouded my judgement, but instinctively I turned to the men discussing and said, " I'm mightily sorry, but i do not think so."

The men stopped their discussion and looked at me. 

"What you were saying about Kerala is far from the truth.", I continued.

Suddenly, one of them quipped,"Were we talking to you?"

"No sir, but i felt your opinion was wrong", I replied.

"We are entitled to have our opinion", he retorted. 

"And me too..", i continued, pretty sure that was a lame reply by me.

A staring contest continued between us for 33 seconds.

Suddenly, the less silent among the two broke into a beaming smile. 

"We need more of such youngsters. Really our firm could use them", he said.

"Of course ", the other man replied, smiling.

" Taking a stand and sticking by it, that is exactly what our polished law graduates lack. Raw passion.", they discussed among them.

I stood there mutely, listening to all this. 

One of them turned to me and said, " So,would you like to take up a job offer at our....."

"Fuck U" , I said cutting his sentence abruptly, and I walked away.

My pride was saved.

Even if i had to remain jobless and die of hunger, it din't matter. 

I'm a Mallu and pride is all that i got.

Ps: In hind sight, that probably was the shortest job interview i ever attended.

2 comments:

  1. Title inspired from our dear old Onida: Neighbour's envy, Owner's pride!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always had an inkling for Onida and their likes:)

    ReplyDelete